While most of us take our children to our family dentist, sometimes, your kid may need specialised care and treatment. And this is where a paediatric dentist enters the picture.
Paediatric dentists can provide gentle care and treat young patients, especially if they have special needs. In this article, you’ll learn what a paediatric dentist is and what he does.
What is a Paediatric Dentist?
A paediatric dentist, a.k.a. pedodontist, has further training and specialises in treating children from infancy to teenage as well as adults with specific needs. The prevention and treatment of problems related to mouth, gum, or teeth, as well as early intervention to stop serious issues from developing later on, can all be a part of the job of a paediatric dentist.
Paediatric dentists complete an extra three (or four) years of training focused on children after completing the compulsory dental training. In addition, they also receive child psychology training, which helps them interact with kids more effectively.
What does a Paediatric Dentist do?
Baby teeth start to develop in children throughout the first six months of life. They begin to lose their primary teeth at 6 or 7, and secondary, permanent teeth eventually replace these teeth.
Without timely dental care, children may develop oral diseases and decay, resulting in discomfort and issues for the rest of their lives.
Paediatric dentists collaborate closely with general dentists and paediatricians. As a part of their training, paediatric dentists work in hospitals and assist kids who require more complex dental care and emergencies. Additionally, paediatric dentists receive orthodontic tooth-straightening training.
Selected patients will be referred to paediatric dentists by paediatricians and general dentists. Some paediatric dentists research to create better strategies for avoiding oral health issues in kids working in hospital training facilities.
Importance of Paediatric Dentists
Visiting the dentist is a different experience for kids. Unlike adults, they can’t always sit still and comply during a dental examination or teeth cleaning. Paediatric dentists are experts in ensuring patient comfort.
Oral health is an important part of your overall health. But your mouth is full of bacteria. While some bacteria are harmless, others are harmful and can spread disease. Developing excellent dental habits, such as brushing and flossing, keeps excessive bacteria under control and shields the body against infections.
Since children need consistent dental care, pediatric dentists can educate the kids and the parents on the importance of having good habits so that your teeth last a lifetime.
Reasons to See a Paediatric Dentist
- Paediatric dentists offer the most comprehensive dental treatment to ensure that the kids leave the office with a smile and a positive attitude toward dental care.
- They use child-friendly language that helps eliminate dental anxiety. They make every effort to make the dentist’s office child-friendly and have smaller equipment, especially for young ones.
- Paediatric dentists have received additional training to treat children. Baby teeth can be more prone to decay than adult teeth, and paediatric dentists have the proper skills to treat cavities in their teeth.
- Paediatric dentists have special training to deal with children’s emotional, physical, and behavioural issues. They know how to provide the most effective dental treatment while making the patient feel at ease.
- Paediatric dentists offer preventive treatment to encourage a healthy lifestyle.
Paediatric Dentist in Woden Valley, ACT, Australia
If you’re looking for the best paediatric dentist in Woden Valley, ACT, Australia, visit the Garran Dental office. We come with a team of highly skilled dentists who offer a wide range of treatments and preventive care for individuals of all ages.
Call us today and book your appointment.