People who have lost their teeth due to decay or trauma will find eating, chewing, and even speaking difficult. On top of that, missing teeth can lead to bigger and costlier problems in the long run.
You need to replace your missing teeth to prevent that from happening, and there are several ways to do so. Yet, the best solution for missing teeth is getting dentures. But if you’re wondering what dentures are and why they’re important, keep reading to find out!
What are Dentures?
Dentures are the perfect replacement for missing teeth. These are removable false teeth that you can take out and put back into your mouth whenever you need. Dentures are made in the dental laboratory using your mouth’s impressions to ensure they fit perfectly.
It might take you a little time to get used to wearing dentures. But remember that they won’t feel the same as your natural teeth. Still, recent advances have made dentures more comfortable and natural-looking than before.
The complete dentures cover your gums with a foundation made of flesh-coloured acrylic. The base of your lower denture is fashioned like a horseshoe to fit your tongue, and the upper denture covers the palate. But there are other kinds of dentures also.
Problems that Missing Teeth may Cause:
- Teeth loss might cause mental health problems. You can experience anxiety and even depression due to a lack of confidence in your appearance.
- Missing teeth can affect speech and make it more difficult to pronounce some words.
- A tooth gap can make it more difficult to chew and consume food. Eating solid meals may become impossible depending on how many teeth are lost.
- The teeth on either side of the opening can start to shift. As a result, they can become loose, and you may need to remove them.
- If you don’t replace the missing tooth/teeth, it can cause bite alignment issues, jaw stress, and bone loss.
What are dentures made of?
Now that you know what dentures are, you might be wondering about the materials of the dentures.
In modern dentistry, experts use several materials to make dentures, such as plastic, acrylic, metal, and nylon.
Due to its strength and affordability, acrylic is the most widely used material in making dentures. But porcelain creates more natural-looking dentures. However, it’s less comfortable than acrylic and is more expensive too. Yet, many use a mix of acrylic and metals to make dentures.
Who can Get Dentures?
Here are some reasons people get dentures:
- Tooth loss
- Tooth extraction
- Tooth infection
- Periodontal disease
- Severe tooth decay
- Poor oral hygiene, which results in oral health issues
- Certain genetic diseases
Types of dentures
You may get one of the following types of dentures:
- Complete dentures – For individuals who have lost all of their teeth of their upper jaw, lower jaw, or both.
- Partial dentures – For individuals who have lost a few or several teeth.
- Implant-retained dentures – Provide better stability supported by implants.
- Immediate dentures – These are placed only for a few months until the patient gets their denture.
How Much Do Dentures Cost?
Today, dentures are the most affordable tooth replacement option, especially if you’ve most of your teeth. They are highly durable and can last 7 to 10 years when properly maintained. In Australia, the cost of dentures starts from $900.
Dentures in Woden Valley, ACT, Australia
Garran Dental offers the best dental treatments and therapeutic procedures in Woden Valley, ACT, Australia, including dentures. Our team of highly skilled dentists can give you the smile makeover you need at affordable costs. You can also consult our Woden dentists if you are in Woden area.
Contact our super-friendly customer service to learn more about our dental services, or book your appointment today!